Saturday, January 14, 2012

Facing the giant

I'm still pretty much dazed about the year being 2012 already. The indicator: Well, the fact that my sister graduated from high school and is now applying for jobs and going for job interviews, is enough said. It's January and she's already making space in her busy schedule to score jobs, attend education fairs, obtain her driving license, weighting and balancing out her options in the courses she wants to take up, at the collages she's narrowed down her options to.

We've been attending education fair after education fair - won't be surprised if we've attended them all - and there's never a dull moment whenever we're present because the collages she's particularly interested in always surprises us with courses that are new, interesting and so much more worth the hard work. Although, sometimes having too many options would also lead to confusion - trust me. Claire was so psyched about getting more info on the courses and wighting her options and the fees, but when it was done, there wasn't even a trace of it left.

Dad has always had our best interest at heart in everything, from our performance at school to the amount of time we put into our hobbies. Especially now, when it comes to our career and the success it would (and should) entail. There was never a moment in time when he'd ask us to stop doing what we love or enjoy, but instead, allowed us to nurture our passions. But then, there were also times when he'd think he knows best - he still thinks he does.

For instance, NOW, when Claire's in the process of finding out which course her heart is in and which career path she should take.

My sister, ever since she was in primary school, has always wanted to do something along the lines of fashion/shoe designing. She was even considering opening up her own boutique one day.
That day, at the education fair, instead of listening to my sister and taking into account what her interests are, he went ahead and decided for her. I don't have it written in black and white but I'm pretty sure Dad has painted this whole picture of my sister taking up Accounting - a subject which she and I both struggled with in school and hate heartlessly.

It was the exact way for me as well. I wanted to sing, perform, write and take up Mass Comm but instead, I ended up doing Law. And the fact that I was never good in History is proof enough that I'm struggling, at least six feet below the earth. Possibly rotting as well.

I don't think there's anything else to be said except that I wish she gets to pursue her dreams of designing shoes and clothes or whatever it is she loves to do. Because these days, raw talent is hard to come by. And coming from me, you've got to believe me when I say that she's a damn good artist. I just hope she would not let anything stand in her way from pursuing what she's passionate about, not even Dad. Not the way I did.



This reminds me of a saying, "It's better to die trying than not try at all - regardless of the outcome."

No comments: