Monday, January 23, 2012

Just get home safely

It's the year of the Dragon! And before I begin what I'd set out here to write, I'm choosing to not give up this rare opportunity to wish all of you sepets, oink-oink eaters, ang pow givers and every tom, dick and harry out there who would be celebrating this prosperous and blessed festival. May your homes be filled with love, joy, peace and may you be blessed with God's divine protection, good health, cheerful company, fruitful success, refreshing rest and joyful moments everyday. Peace out.

____________

Before the date was settled and passports renewed, it was an either here nor there moment as Dad contemplated on the destination for a family vacation. India was apart of the list of countries he'd initially planned for and then there came along China to take it's place. After weighing the pros and cons and all the necessary, Dad finally settled for Rome - especially since it's going to be the last time that country would be listed on the list of countries MAS flies to (only for the time being, I hope). It was also decided that it would only be Mum whom he would take along with him. In a country as romantic as Rome, with it being thousands and thousands of miles away from the three of us, it's little wonder why eh?



With both of their luggage packed and ready to spend the rest of the entire CNY week in the company of each other, they'd be leaving tonight.

People would ask me, having found out about my parents dued absence if whether we'd be okay on our own. Never really parting from my sarcastic and egoistic ways, I'd reply, "Good, let them go". I'd smile the cheeky thresher-cat smile and make the kind of hand gesture that would only mean, when translated, "Get lost!". But after what took place yesterday, I'm starting to open my eyes a little wider and look at their absence in a slightly different light.

A few hours before I hit the sheets, Dad huddled us all together as a unit and had a little family meeting. And of all things, he'd brought up the topic about his will. It would be the first time we'd be left on our own without the supervision of the two pillars which have kept our little stuffy condominium a home all these years. So that is why Dad thought it would be an appropriate time to brief us, touching on the surface of everything from safety right up to the steps we would be advised to take if, god forbid, anything were to happen to them while they spend time away.

What strummed the emotional chord and rendered great importance was when he said that if anything were to happen to them, he'd be the proudest Dad if during the eulogy at his funeral, we'd mention... I'm paraphrasing but it was something along the lines of:

1. I have been Christian my whole life.
2. I love the Lord my God with all my heart and soul.
3. I hope, with all my might, that the rest of you would accept Jesus as your personal Lord and Savior.

These are the three things he wants me to mention during his eulogy. After thinking and pondering upon the whole idea of him not being around anymore, I shook my head and tried to erase even the slightest trace of that thought altogether.

However, on a similar note, I'd like to think that they'd have a wonderful time in the comfortable and loving company of each other. I hope they get to discover new things and be amazed at things that would surprise them.

But if I had just one wish, I just wish for them to come home safely.



No comments: