Thursday, December 22, 2011

That is all I wish for

Sore feet: check. Tired limbs: check. Brought my broke ass home: check.

Before I set out to the heart of the city with Prissy today, I made a mental list to myself, expecting that what I just checked off the list was bound to happen. And as expected, it did. All I want to do now is to give in to sleep and just lay in bed, but I can’t. I’m fighting to keep my eyes open as I type because I have this feeling in my gut that tells me that I might not get another time or day to speak my mind the way I now can.

I’ve been embracing the Christmas spirit to its fullest. In between shopping for Christmas gifts and giving in to generous discounts, I’ve been fighting for some time to myself, some time in my own space. Sometimes, even though there's nothing on my agenda to do, it's nice to get away from the crowd, to get away from all the hustle and bustle and just be alone. 

Now that I have, I should probably come right out and say what my mind has been pondering on for quite some time now. Parallel to carefully selecting and purchasing Christmas gifts for the people in my life, I have also managed to sit back and give some taught to what I'd like for Christmas. 

To celebrate and make the most of my pathetic three weeks of Semester break, I released myself from the confines of my own home and bombarded the shopping malls, like ghosts during the Hungry Ghost Festival, where there's lots and lots of food which have been given up to them as offerings. The fact that Christmas is just around the corner made it even more of a reason to splurge. 

I bought myself a Christmas outfit; an Audrey Hepburn-inspired classic white dress, a pair of black peep-toe pumps, a boho beach bag, tons and tons of accessories. Other than the things I bought for Christmas, there are also the several outfits I've splurged on because it seemed like the right thing to do when there are all these SALE signs everywhere. With everything I now have, it still isn't what I want for Christmas. I think I realized that when the thrill and excitement of buying those new things diminished a few moments after I got home.



This Christmas, I want: People; who would be true to themselves and be strong and confident in their own skin. I want them to find their true self in what they love, and not in other people. I want someone I can talk to about anything and everything, someone I can call my 'best friend' as that role is still vacant. Experience; a long list of them. I want to do things I've never done before, things worth doing for the first time. I want to do things that go against the law, that would get me into trouble. I want to do things that require buckets full of courage. Memories; lots and lots of them. I want to remember the good and the bad. I want to remember the pages turned, the bridges burned. I want to remember the heartbreaks, the loneliness, the crushes... everything that made me into the person I am today. 

And if I'm being blatantly honest, what I really want for Christmas is a hand-written letter. A letter which has been well-thought, well-written and which is specially for me. I love writing and receiving letters but due to the advancement in technology, no one ever does the whole writing-a-letter thing anymore, especially those which would end up bring 3-4 pages long. And the fact that it is so rare and since I haven't received any for quite some time now, makes me want it even more. 

So yes, that is my Christmas wish this year. 



Image via Cherrybam

No comments: