Friday, December 30, 2011

Farewell 2011, you were pretty good to me

1 year, 12 months, 365 days, and 52 weeks – that’s as far as I can go – would be coming to an end in a few more days and as I do so every year, I’d like to take the time to sit in my usual spot, at the usual time of day and with my own usual self, to do this year some justice and dedicate to it a journal entry. This year has brought about a variety (and also a mixture) of the good, the bad, the memorable, the heartbreaking, the unforgettable, the moments that changed one’s life, tragedies and everything along those lines. But if I’m being truly honest, I’d quote a paragraph from The Notebook and say that, “This year has most resembled a blue-chip stock: fairly stable, more ups than downs, and gradually trending upward over time. A good buy, a lucky buy and not everyone can say this about his life.” In more ways than some, this year hasn’t even been the rip-roaring spectacular I’d hoped and fancied it would be but that’s okay, because whatever has happened in the course of this one year has been more than aplenty.

What a journey it has been and to do this year a little more justice before the year comes to a close, I decided to acknowledge and reminisce on the events and happenings or the little things that happened within this year and to appreciate every single thing while I can. I doubt I can remember everything but at the same time, I’m pretty sure that my memory didn’t let me down. So, here goes:

_____________

This year, I...

I got selected for National Service.
Fell in love.
Received my first love-letter.
Made an impact in someone’s life.
Guided and helped someone to quit smoking.
Was – and still am – in a relationship with someone for more than 10 months.
Failed my undang-undang (computer test) 3 times, and in the end, passed on the 4th time.
Passed and received my driving license.
Did a cover, which was a hit, and was finally satisfied with it.
Lost touch with a handful of people who meant a lot to me. 
Moved out of my parent’s home and moved in with my grandma.
Have been doing more housework now than I did when I was living with my parents.
Accepting and taking on new responsibilities.
Have been Google-ing and trying to learn how to cook.
Baked my first and second batch of cupcakes.
Sneakily went up to the highest floor of the Hilton hotel to enjoy the amazing view with a special someone.
Witnessed 4 deaths – Uncle Charles (friend), Manisah (my maid), Uncle Artie and Aunt Esther (Granduncle and grandaunt).
Found out that Grandpa had an elder brother which was given away at birth.
Heard someone, apparently my long-lost relative, came knocking on my grandparent’s door, looking all bruised and dishevelled and asking for money. Long story short, he’s an asshole.
Wrote long-winded letters just for the sake of it.
Dedicated songs, photos, poems, and lyrics to someone I love.
Met and was introduced to my boyfriend’s parents and his aunt.
Tasted shisha for the first (and last) time.
Sat for the Cambridge A-levels Examination.
Got my own room, furniture, and wardrobe for the first time after 18 years.
Studied my ass off and worked as hard as a donkey.
Lost myself and lost touch with the things I loved doing for a period of time.
Lied to my parent, and got away with it.
Lied and got caught.
Broke way too many promises.
Broke the heart of the man I love, way too many times.
Visited an Orang Asli settlement at Ulu Langat.
Sang carols at an old-folks home and fellowshipped with them.
Watched more than 20 movies in the cinema, in good company.
Spent time in an abandoned, eerie, quiet place.
Babysat my cousin, no matter how annoying they were.
Received the green light from Dad and Aunt Sharon to drive their car – under supervision, of course.
Worked at the Swedish Embassy.
Was hired to be the event assistant.
Attended a prestigious event – The Sweden-Malaysia Gala Dinner.
Met and took a picture with Datuk Jimmy Choo, Datul Sheikh Muzaffar and Jojo Struys.
Songled and performed in front of a large audience.
Did stuff I wasn’t proud of.
Took part in an amazing race, called the Amazing Grace.
Tried to learn how to play the guitar, but gave up too easily.
Entertained people who used me and walked all over me.
Experienced a point in time where I didn’t even know who my best friends were anymore.
Saw a shooting star.
Got to make a wish on 11.11.2011.
Lost friends who didn’t make any effort to stay in my life.
Lost ‘things’ I vowed to keep as a little girl.
Had my first water park experience in Kuantan, Bukit Gambang Waterpark resort.

___________

I'm sure there are many more but since I only have my memory to depend on, I have no choice but to end it here.

For everything I've been through, experienced, done, witnessed... I'm grateful and very much appreciative. As a whole, 2011 was a good year. Although I didn't manage to strike off all of the resolutions which were set at the beginning of the year, I'm hoping that the next year would be more promising in those aspects. Heck, I might even get to strike them all of my resolutions list this time - who knows? But before we start doing any planning, let's just hope and pray that the year doesn't come to an end on 2012, cause' that would be such a pity.

Anyways, Happy New Year world!


No comments: